A family residence permit for a maximum duration of 3 years at a time may be granted to the:
- foreign spouse
- foreign children or foreign minor children of their spouse
- dependent foreign children or dependent foreign children of their spouse; of Turkish citizens, persons within the scope of related Law or, foreigners holding one of the residence permits
- In cases of a polygamous marriage pursuant to the regulation in the foreigner’s country of citizenship, only one of the spouses shall be issued a family residence permit. However, a family residence permit may be granted to the foreigner’s children from other spouses.
- For family residence permits issued to children, if any, the consent of the mother or the father who lives abroad and who shares custody shall be sought.
- Family residence permits shall entitle the holder right of education in primary and secondary educational institutions until the age of 18, without obtaining a student residence permit.
- Any person reaching the age of 18 who has immediately before resided in Turkey for a minimum of three years on a family residence permit may upon application transfer to a short-term residence permit.
- In the event of divorce, a short-term residence permit may be issued to a foreign spouse of a Turkish citizen, provided that he or she resided on a family residence permit for at least three years.
- In the event of the death of the sponsor, a short-term residence permit may be issued without any (minimum residing) time condition attached to those who have resided on a family residence permit in connection with the sponsor.